9 Tips Your Dog Must Follow When You Walk Him
When we walk our dog, no matter the destination – on the city streets, in parks or in open spaces – it is necessary that he respects the disciplinary rules settled before and learned, to avoid getting into problems with other animals or people we meet. So let’s see how our little friend will have to act in some situations:
1. Usually, in crowded places we will keep him in a leash, to always have him under control. So he will have to know how to walk in a leash, near your foot, without pulling. This is one of the most important rules your puppy must learn.
2. The dog is not allowed to jump on people or animals met or to attack any of those, as long as he isn’t aggressed. That means you as the pack leader must enforce this rule; otherwise, your dog will do what he wants.
3. The dog should not be allowed under any circumstances run after bicycles, motorcycles, cars or people that are running. It is known that some dogs do that because of their hunting instincts, but if they are living in an urban area it is important for their own safety to stop this practice.
4. When we let the dog free, to relax, it is crucial that when he is called he return on the shortest way and as fast as possible. If your dog does anything else, he is probably testing you to see if you are a weak leader. If you allow this behavior, he will continue to get worse.
5. Wherever our dog might be, he is not to be allowed to eat food given by someone else or food found thrown around on the ground.
6. Generally, small dogs are more spoiled than big dogs and they are more aggressive, anti-social and afraid of other people or dogs. The ones to blame are the owners that often amuse themselves when they see their dogs acting this way. This way the dogs get to barking and even biting their own owner.
7. All through the walk, the dog is not to chew on his leash or to pull it with his teeth, because it might happen that he is tied somewhere alone and he will chew on it until he becomes free and gets lost.
8. The dog is not allowed to jump up and out his front paws on us or others even if he is just playing.
Pay attention to drunken people! Many times the smell, the walk and the yelling
of drunken people annoy the dog. The dog is to loose his reality sense and his
instincts and therefore they won’t pay attention to any of our advices. Some
drunken people are even aggressive to dogs. Stay away from them as much as
The information shared on this site is for information only. It does not take the place of professional advice from your pet’s healthcare provider.